Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Employee Discount: Friend or Foe? I'm going to go with foe. Yeah, definitely foe.

One of the perils of working retail is the employee discount. When you have one, you convince yourself that it is an awesome idea to spend money at your workplace. You're spending money, but because you're getting your stuff at a reduced price, you're saving money. One of the children's novels I read at work one day had a character who thought this way about shopping. She called her method "spaving" -- spend saving. Maybe it was my fondness for wombinations (word combinations, duh) that made me do a little "spaving" myself. Yesterday I spent about $45 at work, which is five hours-worth of wages (untaxed wages, mind you). I feel stupid because (a) even though I spent less than the average toy shopper would thanks to my trusty but evil employee discount, I spent way more than my store spent to get that stuff in the first place and because (b) that is $45 I could have spent on things that would make me grow smarter/more cultured or at least appear to grow smarter/more cultured. On the bright side, I have my advent calendar a month early and I am now the proud owner of some children's art supplies.

The gym wasn't so bad yesterday, although I was not prepared at all for the locker room. I'm not stupid--I knew there would be some changing, I just didn't expect there to be so much walking around and interacting while changing. Also, since when do people have to pay $2 for towels that are half the size of normal-human towels? I'm bringing my own towel from now on, you hear? That's really all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment