Thursday, October 22, 2009

An unkind kindle

...as I expected, I did not win the Amazon Kindle. However, the fundraiser was incredibly successful. My boss wants to raise a full scholarship--a $25,000 scholarship, to be exact--so that one more student can attend our school. We expected this to be a low-grossing night; it was intended more to reach out to people who would like to support us/volunteer with us but can't afford to attend the much more expensive fundraiser we hold in the spring. However, we raised almost $1,000!

I've held off for two whole posts without discussing television in-depth, although I certainly have been trying to prepare my readers for the TV overload that is sure to pop up from time to time, i.e. every other day, with little hints such as "I am an NBC junkie" (see "Two months in" from 10/20). So, get ready for the first TV rant.

NOTE: I tend to talk more about my feelings when it comes to television than about the artistic qualities of the medium itself. If you want to see some witty and humorous commentary/intellectual analysis, check out my friend Liz's blog, Remote Nomad (cool name, right?) which is devoted entirely to television. We watch almost all the same shows, except that she watches Mad Men and More to Love and I do not, while I watch what I call the Holy Trinity--or Triumphant Triumvirate--of NBC (30 Rock, The Office, & Community) and she does not. She's a smart cookie and this is a good blog. Trust me.

WARNING: The following contains Brothers and Sisters as well as Gossip Girl spoilers.

So here is what I am feeling right about now. Let's start off with Brothers and Sisters. Why does Kitty have cancer? Totally unnecessary heart-wrencher. I hate it when television creates needless pain just to keep you watching (although, I have to hand it to TV writers; it works). That's what makes dramas "jump the shark," and when it is obvious to viewers that they are being subjected to drama for drama's sake, they (we) get annoyed. Which reminds me of Gossip Girl. Having Chuck and Blair (or, as I have dubbed them, "Bluck") break up is like a slap in the face to the loyal fans who patiently waited through Nate/Blair attempt number 3 (or "Blait III") for Bluck to blossom. Blergh!

I'm officially embarrassed about my long rant, but to be honest with you, dear readers, this was very cathartic for me. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment